Toggle menu
Call Us! 01482 627476
DFT No Deal EU Riding Advice

DFT No Deal EU Riding Advice

Posted by Paul Jordan on 22nd Mar 2019

The Department for Transport has issued advice on driving in the EU if the UK leaves with no deal.

At present, riding your bike in EU countries requires no special paperwork other than a GB sticker attached to the back. However, that could be about to change. Here's what we know so far...

Driving Licences and International Driving Permits

If there is no exit deal, riders will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to their UK driving licence to drive in the EU, Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein. You can buy an IDP from your local Post Office for £5.50.

You will also need a motor insurance Green Card when driving a UK-registered bike in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Your insurance company can issue a Green Card.

Number plates and national identifiers

Under international conventions, UK-registered vehicles must display a GB sign when driving outside of the UK, including in the EU. This can either be a sticker or a sign on your number plate.

You can display the distinguishing sign as either a GB sticker or a GB sign on your number plate.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will need a GB sticker even if your bike has a Euro-plate that displays both the EU flag and a GB sign.

Driving Licence Exchange for UK Nationals Resident in the EU

If you're a UK driving licence holder living in the EU you should exchange your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence before 29 March. From that date, in the event that there is no EU exit deal, you may need to pass a driving test in the EU country in which you live in order to continue driving there.

If this applies to you, consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence as soon as possible. There may be longer processing times due to increased demand the closer it is to 29 March.